Sunday, October 10, 2010

America Fails To Notice Opening of NHL Season

The United States has admitted that it failed to acknowledge this past Thursday's opening of the 2010-11 National Hockey League season. President Obama has offered an apology to the NHL, saying he was caught up in a Chicago Bulls preseason game that night.

"I'm a little concerned about the Carlos Boozer injury," explained Obama, "and I wanted to see how Derrick Rose would distribute the ball. Honestly, I had no idea the hockey season had started." When asked whether he would make up for the oversight by catching this Monday's Chicago Blackhawks game against the Buffalo Sabres, the president referred to his limited TV schedule. "Listen, I'd love to watch the Blackhawks skate and check and whatever else they do, but Monday's a tough night for me. I've got that Event show on NBC with Blair Underwood basically playing me. Plus Michelle and I like to tune in to Dancing With the Stars periodically throughout the night."

Other Americans cited various reasons when asked why they failed to notice the launch of the NHL season. "I have no idea what you're talking about," said Charlotte Van Peltson of Santa Fe, New Mexico. "I had to make dinner for my boys that night." Meanwhile, George Luttle of Des Moines, Iowa, said, "Dude, I've been out of work for six months. Unless this so-called NHL can offer me a construction job, then I could care less about it."

Even NHL commissioner Gary Bettman admitted he was otherwise preoccupied Thursday. "Wow, now that you mention it, I was locked into Game 2 of the Yankees-Twins division series," confessed Bettman. "I'll definitely try to catch a game or two next week."