Thursday, October 14, 2010

Debate To Determine NLCS Game 1

Game 1 of the National League Championship Series will now be determined by a debate between the teams' respective aces, San Francisco Giants fireballer Tim Lincecum and Philadelphia Phillies workhorse Roy Halladay. In lieu of an actual game, the two pitchers will compete in a head-to-head discussion moderated by sportscaster Bob Costas.

"With these two pitchers taking the ball, we figured the game would likely end up in a 0-0 tie," explains Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig. "Why not make it a little more interesting by making this a contest of wits?" The three-hour debate will break down into five categories: throwing motion, grip, pitch location, the economy and health care.

"Whatever, man. I'm down for anything," says Lincecum. "I mean I could talk about anything on any given day. My mind is working on eight days rest, so I should be fine." Halladay, meanwhile, is taking a more businesslike approach toward the debate. "I have a pretty good grasp on throwing motion, pitch location and health care, but I really have to study up on grip and the economy."

The debate, which will take place Saturday at 8 p.m. on the pitcher's mound in Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, will be televised live on TBS and CNN. Tickets for Game 1 will be honored at the ballpark.